Monthly Archives: November 2008

Fixing”No backend servers available” running Vignette on Weblogic

After spending a considerable amount of time looking at WebLogic and Vignette groups and sides on the net, I finally worked out the cause of a recent “No backend servers available” error message which was occuring when trying to access the vcm 7.5 AppConsole on a recently installed version of Vignette.  In the end google didn’t know the answer to my question.  It’s time to teach google a lesson.

So after getting quite frustrated with what was happening, being unable to find documentation, and finding that a reinstall wasn’t helping much, I pulled out a developers true friend, and started poking around with the runtime services console.

After playing around with the runtime services, I was able to work out that the default install of Vignette  was setting up a cluster, containing the single server.  The combination of suspending and restarting my vmware virtual machine was leading to the Weblogic server to not be started correctly, resulting in the “No backend servers available” error when trying to visit the AppConsole. 

This problem was resolved by following two simple steps:

  • being patient after a restart, allowing the system to do all its checks, (waiting about 5 minutes worked for me) and then
  • simply starting the server using the runtime services console. clusters->[cluster name]-> control -> start/stop -> startup.

So if you end up in a situation where you are seeing “No backend servers available” with Vignette and WebLogic, don’t despair, it can be resolved by simply starting the servers in your cluster (even if it’s a cluster of 1) after patiently waiting (about 5 minutes) for the server to get into a stable state.

Thankfully google knows this too now.

How Many Keys to Start Composing an Email

 

I was recently reading Rands in Repose Article Saving Seconds, and took the challenge to how many keystrokes would it take for me to start writing an e-mail message.

My first go was a little bit variable.

It consisted of:

  1. a variable number of CMD-tabs to get to Mail.App
  2. CMD-N to create the message.

After reading the true statement that creating e-mail is a common enough task that it should deserve optimisation, I figured that I'd put in the effort to write the AppleScript to optimise it.  So, with the combination of AppleScript, and Butler, I have ended up with:

  1. a single CMD-OPT-CTRL-M to start up Mail.App (I like using CMD-OPT-CTRL for all my Butler shortcuts).

The AppleScript is simply:

tell
    application "Mail"
    activate set newMessage to make new outgoing message with properties {visible:true}
end tell